On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Olivier Simon wrote (excerpted):

> Well, that often starts from local accent, but that does not explain anything.
> French-Canadians have a strong accent and use some words that are
> unknown in Europe; that's why everyday speech in French-Canadian can be
> sometimes hardly understandable for a French-speaking European.

I studied (continental) French for several years in (US gymnasium) high
school and university.  I could read it well (although after these many
years with no active usage I am out of practice).  When I went to
francophone Canada I could understand almost nothing of the spoken
language, but if they would write it down, I could understand.  I once
spoke with a southeast Asian woman who had studied British English but
who was lost when she first came to ther USA.  This is why I think that
a conIAL should be standardised as much as possible.  I have listened to
podcasts of IALA Interlingua speakers who I could not understand, and
others who I could.

Paul Bartlett