On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 03:37:37 -0500, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I wish there were a quote operator which took
> its argument as a string, ignoring any leading
> or trailing whitespace, pending correctly behaving
> monowidth fonts.

You can always '$foo =~ s/\A \s* (.*?) \s* \z/$1/smx' right before
printing (or doing whatever output you need to do). There's a slightly
wordier sub that wraps that regex on pp 85-87 of _Perl Best Practices_
(which I heartily recommend) that discusses the various merits of various
variations.

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, or the list, and I'm gearing
up to do interviews today for Perl programmers ***, so my brain is
elsewise right now. That and the supper happy fun time that is sporadic
insomnia, which hit last night and which is ... well, super happy fun time.

*** If "Smart and Gets Things Done" applies to you, and you're a LAMP
person who can move to and work in central North Carolina, btw, drop me a
line.

Speaking of Perl ... IIRC Someone (Henrik?) made a compiler for sound
change rules that took a rules file in and produced a Perl module as
output. Where can I find that?

--
Paul