On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 20:12, Donald Boozer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It appears that rivvel or rivel is related to PA German riwwel meaning "to rub, grate, or crumble"

Ah - that might be standard German "rubbeln", then (which is what you
do when you scratch open a scratch-and-sniff thing or one of those
things where you have to scratch away a covering to see your PIN or
your lucky number underneath; or the thing your hand does when you're
giving someone a noogie; perhaps an iterative(?) form of "reiben" =
"to rub or grate"?).

> (which is what the noodles look like...crumbled dough).

And that might be what south Germans call "Spätzle"? (Well, all
Germans call it that, but the dish itself is associated with southern
Germany, and the name comes from there, as witness the -le diminutive
ending which is not used in northern Germany.)

> See

Ah - after looking at that, it derives it from PA Ger "reiwe", which
looks like a dialect form of "reiben" to me.

Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>