Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=111). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.5 - CONLANG Archives

BP Jonsson wrote:> Från: Michael Poxon <[log in to unmask]>> > > > My high point was when my linguistics professor> > gave me a 'golf-ball' with the IPA symbols on.> > Must have been early to mid 1980's but even then> > she was very fond of computational linguistics, I> > seem to recall.

IBM Selectrics were just too damn expensive!!!> >> Från: Gary Shannon> >> I had a portable, manual Smith> > Corona typewriter that had two keys with> > changeable type. I had a large box full of little> > snap-lid plastic boxes, each box with a little clip-> > on type head that hooked onto either of the two> > changeable keys. Each type head came with a little> > key-chip that snapped onto the key itself, showing> > the graphic representation of whatever symbol was> > installed on that key.

Just like my electric model.  I didn't know there was a manual model, probably cheaper, but in the end I'm glad I had the electric. I'm fast, and keys tend to jam on a manual.  The diss. ended up at over 900 pages, which would have been a lot of key-pounding and thousands of carriage returns over the multiple drafs.  Holy Carpal Tunnel !! > > > > Using shift, I could have up to four different> > special characters at a time on the keyboard. If I> > needed more, I could stop typing, swap in a new> > special character, type it, and keep right on> > going. It was very cool.> > Sounds very cool, but kinda messy. Didn't any of> those clip-ons get lost?
How did you guess ? ;-))) Or, they got put into the wrong boxette or otherwise misplaced.  Also, changing them meant inky fingers, so you had to be careful about keeping clean.