--- On Sun, 12/21/08, Chris Peters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Chris Peters <[log in to unmask]>
> I've heard of examples of conlangs created specifically
> for the author's own diary (for the express purpose of
> keeping the contents secret.)  I've also heard rumors
> that security agencies (read:  NSA or CIA in the United
> States) create conlangs as a form of cipher.
>
> Has anybody on the list created a "secret
> language" such as this?

Pre-personal computers, and certainly pre-Internet, I used my pictographic language to write my personal diary. It wasn't that I put any effort into keeping it secret, it was simply that nobody I knew was at all interested in conlangs in general, or my pictographs in particular. So it was "secret" by default.

--gary