On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 00:44, David McCann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I get my CONLANG messages in a daily digest. If the problem doesn't
> occur with individual emails, it could be that the server at Brown is
> just taking the individual emails, each with its own encoding, and
> sticking them together.

Ah, that could well be the case -- that the list server isn't 'clever'
enough to re-encode all messages into one consistent encoding.

> In that case, naturally my software will assume
> that the same encoding occurs throughout.

Quite a reasonable assumption, and indeed, the only possible one,
since you can't just put a new email 'header' (announcing a new
Content-Transfer-Encoding or charset, for example) into the middle of
the email's body. (Unless you use MIME multipart digests.)

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>