________________________________
From: Fergus Thornton <[log in to unmask]>

I'm not sure pain has much to do with this.  What bothers the baby is being held down and doubled up to expose the back.  Not only would I not use PS (risk vs benefit) but I don't use local.  If held well, the procedure is over in one to two minutes or less.  I think the pendulum has swung too far to the "be nice" extreme. It's time to recognize that those of us who experienced painful/normal procedures/experiences haven't grown up with any particular psyche disorders. I use PS to enable me to care for  people, not to protect them from a 2 minute painful procedure. [BTW, the "holder" is much more important than the "needler" in an LP; done well, it shouldn't take more than a minute.]

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html