This is how we do it here, too and how we did it in Tennessee at TC Thompson in Chattanooga. We do not have the luxury of a float nurse here in NM, but I think this would be ideal.
Julia Whitefield MD, Ph.D.
University of New Mexico
ABQ, NM> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:16:36 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Admit holds, boarded patients> To: [log in to unmask]> > We transition floor (not critical care) holds to the inpatient service; once the official admission order/MD report has been given, they are an inpatient. Questions, notifications, etc. all go to the admitting resident team; obviously if the patient becomes unstable or needs emergent intervention, the ED physician responds. Once we reach more than 2 holds, a float RN is assigned to the ED (1 for every 4 holds ideally) to assume their care and provide all of the care, charting, etc. that would occur if they were on an inpatient unit.> > Sandra Herr, MD> Medical Director, Pediatric Emergency Department> Kosair Children's Hospital> Louisville, KY> (502)629-5917> > > >>> "Rahman, Wassam" <[log in to unmask]> 1/15/2009 12:42 PM >>>> Most of us are experiencing the problem of patients being boarded in the> ED pending admission. > > Questions:> > Does anyone transfer care of the patients to the inpatient service for> ongoing management? > > What are some of your solutions, if any?> > Are there any "legal" billing or coding tricks to optimize reimbursement> for managing these patients till admission? Or if of when they end up> being discharged from the ED?> > Any input or ideas on how you handle these patients would be> appreciated. > > > Wassam Rahman, M.D.> Medical Director> Emergency Center> All Children's Hospital> 801 Sixth Street South> PO Box 31020> St. Petersburg, FL 33731-8920> E-mail: [log in to unmask] > > > Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments,> is for the sole use of intended recipients(s) and may contain> confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review use,> disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended> recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all> copies of the original message.> > Emergency Center> > E-mail: [log in to unmask] > > > Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments,> is for the sole use of intended recipients(s) and may contain> confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review use,> disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended> recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all> copies of the original message.> > > > > ============================================================================== > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-mail message, including any attachments, is for> the sole use of intended recipient(s)and may contain confidential and> privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or> distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please> contact the sender by reply E-mail and destroy all copies of the original> message and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you> ==============================================================================> > For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:> http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html> > For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:> http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html