On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Martin Mueller wrote:

> In converting some TCP texts from their SGML to a P5 version of TEI I noticed
> that the TCP dtd permits the placement of a <figure> element before a <head>.

Actually, Martin, I do not believe that our TEI-lite-derived scheme *does*
allow <figure> before <head>, i.e. among the div-top elements. Maybe it
should, but it does not. Here, for example is the declaration of <div1
(dislikers of numbered divs will please remove the numbers; the xml
version is the same aside from the omission of minimization indicators):

<!ELEMENT div1 - -
 	((argument | headnote | byline | epigraph | head | opener | salute
         | signed | lb | milestone | pb | gap )*,
         (((div2), (lb | milestone | pb | gap )*)+ | ((( bibl | l | lg | p
         | sp | q | letter | list | note | stage),
         (lb | milestone | pb | gap )*)+, ((div2), (lb | milestone | pb |
         gap )*)*)),
         ((byline | closer | tailnote | epigraph | salute | signed |
         trailer),
         (lb | milestone | pb | gap )*)*) >

The only way for us to insert a figure at the head of a division is
to wrap it in one of the divtop elements. We normally resort to <head>
for this purpose:

<trailer>Here endeth the reign of Queen Mary.</trailer>
<head type="illustration">
<figure>
   <figdesc>portrait of Queen Elizabeth I</figdesc>
   <head>vera effigies Eliz. Reg. Angliae &amp;c.</head>
   <byline>J. Smith sculp.</byline>
</figure>
</head>
<head>The Virgin Queen</head>

Exposing our code, for better or worse!

pfs

> You can't do this in P5, where it appears that <figure> can't be used before
> a divTop or after a divBottom element.  Is there a compelling reason for this
> or does it result from a parallelism of <table> and <figure>? It's easy for
> me to imagine books that begin or end with a figure. One could of course
> always turn those into divs of their own so that the invalid

> <figure><figure>
> <head></head>
> <trailer></trailer>
> <figure><figure>
>
> becomes

> <head></head>
> <trailer></trailer>
>
> But I am not sure what this buys you or what abuses are prevented by it. And
> the figures in question may for the reader be associated quite unambiguously
> with the following or preceding div.
>
> MM

Paul Schaffner | [log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/
316-C Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205