Hi Martin,

Martin Holmes schreef:
> I'm just thinking of rationalizing this so that my markup folks can
> be told that any textual feature they need to describe can be
> described using CSS in @rend (no need to learn or look up
> project-specific usages such as rend="italic"). CSS is a broadly
> useful language that they'll benefit from learning anyway.

I'm not sure about the wisdom of the CSS-only approach, for a number of
reasons:
- CSS is, it would seem to me, too complicated. This will depend on who
does the XML encoding. If that is done by technically oriented persons,
learning CSS does them no harm, as you say. But if the encoding is done
by persons with a scholarly background, CSS may be one hurdle too much.
- Even though in practice at the moment I only create HTML output, we
use XML because, among other things, we want to maintain a sharp
distinction between describing the source and defining possible output
formats. CSS seems targeted at (HTML) output.
- CSS may be too precise in some cases: if for instance a paragraph
needs some extra white around it, I can invent a keyword to use with
rend and write <p rend="extrapadding">; I wouldn't want to commit to a
specific amount of padding in the XML source.

Best,
Peter