HI Sebastian,

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Martin Holmes wrote:
>

>> CSS seems to me to be one of the greatest successes of the last few
>> years in computing.
>
> in many ways, I agree, it's a really great thing. but a disaster
> in other ways, because of the inconsistency of the implementations.

That's hardly the fault of the CSS creators, though. And it's getting
better.

>  > You never hear anyone complaining that it lacks features
>
> golly, I could complain if you like! the fact that its tied
> to HTML behaviours, the lack of power of its selectors compared
> to XPATH, it's lack of knowledge of namespaces, and it's lack
> of variables or macros? havent you ever wanted to define "Oxford Blue"
> as a colour and use it throughout?

I might like to have variables -- and so would lots of others:

<http://disruptive-innovations.com/zoo/cssvariables/>

But the debate about this is interesting, and the anti-variables
arguments are on the whole quite convincing:

<http://www.w3.org/People/Bos/CSS-variables>

Macros, I don't need; CSS can be created on the fly on the server, using
PHP, XSLT, Python, etc. Namespaces are already catered for (although not
implemented, as far as I know):

<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-namespace/>

I don't see how CSS is tied to HTML behaviours at all -- I must be
missing something there. As far as its not being XPath is concerned,
well, we have XPath. CSS is intended to be a single-pass cascade (no
nipping back up the tree to check who your ancestors might have been), I
don't have a problem with that; it means CSS renderers can be mighty fast.

I like the precision and clarity of it; as a way to describe the layout
and appearance of elements on a page, especially typographical
components, it's a great balance between power and simplicity. It's very
good for what it's intended for, and I think the complaints about
missing features are actually complaints about its not being a
completely different kind of thing -- a programming language.

Cheers,
Martin
--
Martin Holmes