Hi Tara,

I've had a similar project, and what we did was provide a witness list
in the front matter of each file which includes the sigla for all
manuscripts in the edition as the unique xml:id for each witness - it
looks pretty much exactly like the example given in the listWit
description in the Guidelines
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/TC.html#TCAPWL),
although we put the manuscript names as the content of <witness>. We
then pointed @ed on pb and lb, and @wit on rdg, to the xml:id of the
corresponding witness for that file.

Now that I think about it, we didn't specifically link the witnesses
in the listWit to the msDesc in the headers, but I suppose one could
do this using a @corresp on msDesc to point to the xml:id of the
corresponding witness.

Another option, if you don't want to have a complete witness list,
could be to use the sigla as the xml:id for the msDesc in each header.

If you're looking for a way to identify sigla that doesn't involve
providing them as xml:ids - I don't know, although I bet someone else
can suggest one.

Hope this helps,

Dot

--
Dot Porter, MA, MSLS

-- A Project of the Royal Irish Academy --

Phone: +353 1 234 2444
Fax: +353 1 234 2400
Email: [log in to unmask]

http://dho.ie