For the purposes of processing, of course, a sequentially-ordered unique identifier for each page break is useful - on several projects I've worked on, this has been accomplished using @xml:id assigned a value created from a four character identifier, an abbreviation for page break, and a sequential number independent of anything printed/written on the page (e.g., xml:id="DIST-pb-0209"). When the numbering is regular, this alone would be enough to generate labels using automated processes (XSLT with the xpath substring functions, etc.). For leaves/pages with irregular numbering, one could use @n or @rend to record the 'erroneous' label to be processed differently (XSLT: <xsl:when test="@n">, etc.). In other words, only pages with non-sequential or repeated numbering would need the extra attribute:

<pb xml:id="DIST-pb-0288"/>
<pb xml:id="DIST-pb-0289"/>
<pb xml:id="DIST-pb-0290" n="209"/>

I wouldn't think this is too unusual a situation nor always the result of error - several kinds of books come to mind that might contain repeating page labels (omnibus editions of multi-volume series, works with two parts that are independently numbered, etc.).

John