The simplest solution is suggestion 2, of course. I just get hung up
on the question your third suggestion addresses. I suppose that any
search-analysis software or stylesheet can easily ignore the pilcrow,
so from a practical pov simply typing the character should suffice.
Still, I cannot help but think of the pilcrow as something very
different in kind from the text that follows it, so I hesitate to
include it within <head/> without distinguishing it in some way.

On Jan 20, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Syd Bauman wrote:

> Hiya! Long time no see.
>
> While <fw> isn't necessarily wrong, it implies that the pilcrow
> occurs at roughly the same spot on every page on which it appears. It
> also says (at least to me) "this is an artifact of the printing
> process, not a part of the intellectual content of the document". So
> unless those are things you wish to assert, I'd shy away from <fw>.
>
> Depending on where and how these pilcrows appear, possible encodings
> include:
>
> * None. Stylesheet would generate a pilcrow if you were trying for
>   a very true-to-original typography output.
>
> * Just type it in as another character.
>
> * On the theory that the pilcrow is not part of the stream of
>   document content that is useful to transcribe and search, but
>   rather is a bit of presentational markup intended to help signal
>   that there is a new poem title coming up in a heading, encode it as
>   a renditional feature of either the <head> or of its parent.
>   Something like
>     <tagsDecl>
>       <rendition xml:id="ppc">The division or line group is preceded
>         by a centered, 20-point high bold pilcrow (U+00B6).</
> rendition>
>     </tagsDecl>
>     <!-- ... -->
>     <lg type="sonnet" rendition="#ppc">
>       <head>Sonnet 76: a Tribute to the Trombone</head>
>       <l>...</l>
>       <!-- ... -->
>     </lg>
>   or like
>     <head rend="pre(&#xB6;)">Sonnet 76: a Tribute to the Trombone</
> head>
>

>> Head titles in a book of poems are each preceded by a pilcrow (U
>> +00B6). I am inclined to use <fw/> but hesitate as to whether this
>> qualifies as "similar material," i.e., "a running head (e.g. a
>> header, footer), catchword, or similar material." Clearly this is
>> not header or footer material, but it is a repeated formal feature
>> of no semantic significance to the text it precedes, i.e., the poem
>> title within <head/>. How are others dealing with this (if you've
>> encountered it)?

Robert Whalen, PhD
NEH Fellow 2009-2010
Associate Professor
Department of English
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855
http://myweb.nmu.edu/~rwhalen

Evoke the forms. Where you've nothing conduct ceremonies out of the
air and breathe upon them.
				- Cormac McCarthy