HI Brett,

Brett Zamir wrote:

> My meaning was I didn't see any pseudo-/classes/ that were necessary on
> such a level, unless the TEI document /is /the original document, but I
> do see value for the pseudo-/elements/ (as in the pilcrow example).

I can imagine a use for nth-child, nth-of-type, and especially :empty
(enabling <pb/> to be represented in some way). But these are definitely
borderline cases when it comes to representing the original appearance
of documents.

[...]

> So, yeah, it must be a bug (as is the fact that it works even without
> the id attribute!), and even if it were fixed, the specification cited
> above doesn't explicitly allow internal stylesheets in non-XHTML XML.

Actually, it does as far as I can see:

"NOTE: Since the value of the href attribute is a URI reference, it may
be a relative URI and it may contain a fragment identifier. In
particular the URI reference may contain only a fragment identifier.
Such a URI reference is a reference to a part of the document containing
the xml-stylesheet processing instruction (see [RFC2396]). The
consequence is that the xml-stylesheet processing instruction allows
style sheets to be embedded in the same document as the xml-stylesheet
processing instruction."

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/>

so I'm glad it does work, and the good news is that we can expect it to
continue to work (and perhaps work in other browsers) in future.
Cheers,
Martin
--
Martin Holmes