Hi Martin,

On 1/24/2009 12:19 AM, Martin Holmes wrote:

>> So, yeah, it must be a bug (as is the fact that it works even without
>> the id attribute!), and even if it were fixed, the specification
>> cited above doesn't explicitly allow internal stylesheets in
>> non-XHTML XML.
>
> Actually, it does as far as I can see:
>
> "NOTE: Since the value of the href attribute is a URI reference, it
> may be a relative URI and it may contain a fragment identifier. In
> particular the URI reference may contain only a fragment identifier.
> Such a URI reference is a reference to a part of the document
> containing the xml-stylesheet processing instruction (see [RFC2396]).
> The consequence is that the xml-stylesheet processing instruction
> allows style sheets to be embedded in the same document as the
> xml-stylesheet processing instruction."
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/>
>
> so I'm glad it does work, and the good news is that we can expect it
> to continue to work (and perhaps work in other browsers) in future.
Sorry about that...hadn't read it carefully (just searched for the hash
mark!)--good catch!... However, I see now at
http://www.w3.org/Style/styling-XML#Embedded that

     "Most XML-based formats will not have such an element [html:style],
but the same PI that links to external style sheets can also be used to
point to style sheets that are embedded in the document itself. *As of
February 2006, there are still technical problems with this and no
formal specification exists.* "

Fragment identifiers (and mention of id type/xml:id) are mentioned under
"Unsolved problems" in the same document (just updated 4 days ago)...

best wishes,
Brett