Hi Dot,

Thanks very much for this.  I do want them to be xml:ids, though I
wasn't thinking about that when I wrote the first email.  Making each
sigil the xml:id for its corresponding msDesc is so beautifully simple
it eluded me.  (I can then use that to generate the <listWit/> in the
file that will represent the edition itself, as an added bonus.)

-tara