Thinking more about this, I guess what I'd really like would be a global
attribute @cssClass, and a way to include a CSS stylesheet that doesn't
require another namespace. @rendition won't do because its value must be
"one or more URIs, separated by whitespace".

I know this is beginning to look like XHTML, or look like its biased
towards a rendering target of XHTML, but it's really not; there's really
no better language (pace Sebastian) for describing what textual elements
look like than CSS. Imagine this:

<encodingDesc>

   <cssStyle xml:id="myStylesheet">
      head{
        font-size: 150%;
      }
      head[cssClass=pilcrowHead]:before{
        content: "ΒΆ";
      }
   </cssStyle>
</encodingDesc>

    <head cssClass="pilcrowHead">A heading</head>

The content of <cssStyle> would be described as any valid CSS code, and
I THINK (although I haven't tested this) that it should be possible to
add this processing instruction:

<?xml-stylesheet href="#myStylesheet" type="text/css"?>

to the top of the file, and get browsers to render all the elements of
the stylesheet they happen to support -- a cheap-and-cheerful readable
view of the text.

@rend could be used instead of @cssClass, but @cssClass could be defined
for precisely this purpose rather than being a general-purpose attribute
like @rend.

[Retreats to foxhole...]

Cheers,
Martin