Hi,

On 4 Jan 2009, at 12:56, Peter Boot wrote:

> The witDetail element is synonymous with <note type='witnessDetail'>
> (see note in http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-witDetail.html)
> . It is a type of note, and it doesn't seem appropriate to use it to
> hold the punctuation, which is a part of the transcribed text.

That is a good point, and it's helped me to clarify in my mind what it
is I'm after.

The fundamental dilemma I have is that, if I put the punctuation
directly in the <rdg/> element, I have three options:

- Ignore the punctuation variations between manuscripts.

- Record punctuation variants as part of the word lemma, which might
give an apparatus entry like this:
	minchev,:  CD minchev BE minchev; Q minchev. FG misht ev
That could get very irritating to format, very quickly, since the
apparatus itself relies on punctuation separation.

- Record punctuation variants in a standalone fashion.  That would
look even worse than the example above, and so this option can pretty
much be discarded out of hand.

So part of my question is, for those of you who have already done any
sort of digital text edition: how did/do you handle punctuation
variants in the apparatus, and in the TEI encoding?  I can see that a
digital edition allows for a much more detailed presentation of small
differences than would be practical in a book, but I haven't seen any
examples of how these minute differences are, in practice, being
handled.

I'm trying to address this question by allowing as much flexibility as
possible—ideally to avoid deciding for myself what level of detail to
include, leaving it instead to a user of the edition.  What I am
trying to accomplish, by putting the punctuation in a <witDetail/>, is
to allow an editing program to parse my initial TEI file to put forth
a set of readings, e.g.:
<app xml:id="App481">
        <rdg wit="#Jer #K">
          <w>zastoucoy</w>
        </rdg>
        <rdg wit="#V #Y">
          <w>astoucoyn</w>
        </rdg>
        <witDetail target="#App481" wit="#Jer" type="punctuation">,</
witDetail>
        <witDetail target="#App481" wit="#K" type="punctuation">:</
witDetail>
        <witDetail target="#App481" wit=" #V #Y"
type="punctuation">,</witDetail>
        <rdg wit="#X" type="omission"/>
    </app>

and ask the user (that is, the editor) to choose a lemma.  The editor
could then choose from the available options, and the resulting lemma
would include the appropriate punctuation in the main body of the
reading:

<app xml:id="App481">
        <lem wit="#Jer #K">
          <w>zastoucoy,</w>
        </lem>
        <rdg wit="#V #Y">
          <w>astoucoyn</w>
        </rdg>
        <witDetail target="#App481" wit="#K" type="punctuation">:</
witDetail>
        <witDetail target="#App481" wit=" #V #Y"
type="punctuation">,</witDetail>
        <rdg wit="#X" type="omission"/>

and the resulting edition could either include punctuation variants
(as supplied by the witDetail notes) or not, if the editor / reader
deemed that to be overly pedantic for his/her purposes.

Does this make sense?  Would it be useful?  Are there other approaches
out there that I would be better off using?

-tara