---- Original Message ----

From: Eldin Raigmore <[log in to unmask]>
What about a teacher telling a class,
"Everyone get back to your proper seat!"
vs
"Everyone get back to your own seat!"

=====

For me (US, Metro Detroit), the first one implies that there was assigned seating; the second one makes no such implication. Both, however, mean "Get back to the seat I expect you in." Even if a teacher has been allowing students to violate the assigned seating chart for the last three weeks, I would still expect "your own seat" to refer to "your proper seat" if there is an assigned seating chart, not to the seat the child has been using for the last three weeks.

-- Paul