Actually (Old) English originated in northwestern Germania,
along the coast roughly between present-day Kiel in
Germany and present-day Groningen in The Netherlands and
in the inland behind.  Most of the traits that set English
apart from other Germanic languages were already in place
when people from this area began to colonize Britain in the
fifth century.  Those of the same dialect group which were
left behind became known as Frisians, and Frisian is thus
the closest linguistic relative of Old English -- a full
sibling -- while Old English itself has two daughter
languages: wodern English and Scots.

Apart from that I find the idea that the inhabitants of
the area where a language 'originated' should retain some
kind of first dibs on deciding what is the correct form
of that language highly suspect.