* Benct Philip Jonsson said on 2009-01-11 19:21:29 +0100
> taliesin the storyteller wrote:
> > * Benct Philip Jonsson said on 2009-01-07 16:26:17 +0100
> > > Is there any means to peep into the values when searching?
> > > (Even though that'd be slow of course!)
> >
> > kdict (for KDE) has a mode where it lists all possible
> > candidates for a search and then lets you choose, so it's
> > client-dependent. Will that do?
>
> sure, but is there a way to change servers in kdict without
> going into the settings?

Not that I've found. Neither is it possible to use more than
one server at a time. But it's open source so if you can
program... :)

> (Also is there a way to access the KDE help system when
> running KDE apps under GNOME? ;-\)

Haven't tried. There are several dict-clients for gnome but none
that ubuntu has already packaged. I prefer the cli client so
uses that anyway. Force of habit.

> > > As it happens I've got several tsv dictionary files [..]
> > > but would it be reasonably easy to populate a DICT‑
> > > dictionary from such a file, withouot any retyping of
> > > actual entries?
> >
> >If they are regular, and not just pretend tsv,
>
> So little faith! Actually what do you mean by pretend?

Non-regular. Extra tabs that are not separators but neither are
they escaped. Might be a more common problem in comma-separated
files:

foo,a meta-syntactic variable, capable of standing in for any other word
   ^separator                ^separator or error?

> > it is easy enough to programmatically change them into
> > something that is easily indexable by the dict-tools (to
> > build the key-value pairs that the server uses).
> >
> > dictfmt(1) is one way of making the index:
> > http://linux.die.net/man/1/dictfmt
> > It supports several formats
>
> So it seems, and I certainly can produce something to serve
> it with the help of Perl.

Oh yeah. Just make sure of the encoding, anything else than
UTF-8 or ASCII and the server won't start.

> /BP, who vaccinated against the flu and then got a
> resistant strain of streptococci... :-P

Checks wikipedia... I think I prefer the flu.

t.