Paul Bartlett skrev:

> A number of years ago I was trying to help some Cambodian refugees from
> the Killing Fields with their English.  Some of the youngsters were
> fascinated that winter by snowfall (near Washington).  I asked an elder
> Cambodian Buddhist monk, who had lived in the west for several years,
> if there was a word for snow in Khmer.  He said that there was, because
> there are references to snow in the Buddhist scriptures, Cambodia being
> (having been) a Buddhist country, but that most Cambodians really
> didn't understand the word, never having had any experience of snow in
> their entire lives.  The point is that I think we do have to take
> cultural experiences into account with conIALs, if nothing else in
> adequate explanations.

I can imagine. I recall my first ever Swedish class where I had some
students from Thailand. When we got the first snow it was impossible to
concentrate on the congruence inflection of adjectives, and I gave them
all a break to get out and experience the falling snow. And if you have
never seen it before or touched it, well, that must be a fantastic
experience.

Kjell R