Steve Rice wrote:
 > However, as Dana said, the power of English goes beyond the
 > historic Anglosphere at this point. It must be acknowledged.

It is unimportant in my opinion. In fact, it is unwise to couple your
language with the destiny of English or any other natural language. The
ups and downs of different international language are evident in here in
Europe. We have seen the rise of English, we're close to the peak now,
and the decline is inevitable.

But that's not the only reason why I think that the current, transient
popularity of English is unimportant. The more important reason is that
regardless of how many people are estimated to speak English,  billion
or 1 billion, there are many many words that are more international
than the corresponding English words. They are cognate words, loan words
and coincidentally similar words. Those words are found by comparing
vocabularies of different languages of the world. English has left its
mark to many languages, so consequently there will be many English words
in worldlang too.

An ideal worldlang is more international, more durable and more neutral
than any narrowly based IAL. It's all there, it's only a matter of time
before somebody manages to put it together.

--
Risto Kupsala