On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Gabriel Bodard wrote:

> When working with multiple TEI files that are editions of short texts, as
> part of a larger project or corpus, we often cite short bibliography for each
> text and link that to a master bibliography file for the whole collection.

Gabby,

Do you want to do something like we did for the Middle English Dictionary,
that is, link each short-form citation in the (multiple files of
the) Dictionary to a fully explicated version in the accompanying canonical
bibliography? This was a long time ago, before even P4 was a gleam in the
eye, and as I recall we introduced many changes, including the
incorporation of a new element "stncl" (i.e. 'stencil' or bibliographic
short form--MED and OED slang), and a new attribute @rid ('refers-to-id')
to link that element to the bibliography, like this:

<CIT MD="1400">
<BIBL>
<STNCL RID="hyp.242.19990513T124835">
<DATE>a1400</DATE>
<TITLE>Ancr.Recl.</TITLE>
<MS>Pep 2498</MS>
</STNCL>
  120/45</BIBL>

which linked to a corresponding <STENCIL> element in
the bibliography (in this case, within a usage note), thus:

<USE>In A-M cited with stencil
<STENCIL ID="HYP.242.19990513T124835">
<DATE>a1400</DATE>
<WORK><I>Ancr.Recl.</I></WORK>
<ABBR>Pep 2498</ABBR></STENCIL>
</USE>

I mention this not as an example of good practice, but to ask
if this is the sort of thing you wish to do.

pfs

> What we should ideally do is point (via @key or @ref) to the @xml:id of the
> bibl in the main bibliography, but it seems that <bibl> does not take
> att.canonical.
>
> How do others do this? (In P4-world we abused @n, but I don't want to do this
> any more.)
>
> Would a feature request to add bibl to att.canonical have legs, do you think?
>
> Thanks,

> --
> Dr Gabriel BODARD
> (Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)
>
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities
> King's College London
> 26-29 Drury Lane
> London WC2B 5RL
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> Tel: +44 (0)20 7848 1388
> Fax: +44 (0)20 7848 2980
>
> http://www.digitalclassicist.org/
> http://www.currentepigraphy.org/

Paul Schaffner | [log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/
316-C Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205