Tomaz Erjavec wrote:
> But I do have another questions - we are trying to link a video
> recording to a play but I'm not quite sure where to put the information
> about video file and timing - any hints appreciated.
>
> Related questions is the technology to use. We're currently considering
> two options - the vanilla one to just split the video file into pieces
> (one for each act / div) and have a direct link there.

Another option would be to use <timeline> with a bunch of <when>
elements in it, then pointing to their ids at the correct point in the text.

> The somewhat more ambitious one is to put timing information on <stage>
> and <sp>, and then convert the TEI to a smil file, and show video in
> realplayer, with synchronised
> HTML. However, experiments show that our test file crashes in Firefox,
> so, not so good.

Hrmmm, no, not so good.  As I'm sure you'll have already seen in the
Guidelines at
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/SA.html#SASYMP SMIL
is one of the suggested possibilities for how to do this.  What if you
convert it to a series of small SMIL files?

Another option is using a URI-based pointing scheme to point into the
content of the video at a certain time point.  I remember finding such a
one (for mpeg, I think) when I looked years ago.  But how you actually
then do something useful with this... will probably run into the same
problem as your SMIL test.

Sorry that isn't much help,

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford