steve rice wrote:
> [...]There are certain professions that have a messiah complex about being the guardians and arbiters of truth and knowledge: the media have it, virtually all librarians have it, and many teachers as well. [...]

Speaking as a librarian, I'd say there is one big difference from the
media or teachers. My job is to gather information from whatever sources
are available and present it to people as impartially and comprehensibly
as I can. "Messiahs" will think they know everything, but being a
librarian for a while makes a person very aware of how much they don't know.
When I'm posting here, I feel quite free to say "X is right and Y is
wrong". When I'm telling people about Esperanto I make sure the
positives outweigh the negatives. When I'm being a librarian I would at
least try to say "X says this but Y says that" and let people make their
minds up. It's not so easy for teachers (for example having to deal with
Evolution vs. Creationism); in the case of news media they can count on
lots of scepticism from the listening public, but schoolkids are a
captive audience.

Geoffrey King