________________________________
From: Richard Scarfone MD <[log in to unmask]>
I believe that we have entered an era in which one should not routinely obtain a blood culture for a febrile 8-month-old, just as one would not do so for a febrile 8-year-old. My approach is to perform a careful H and P, assess for UTI if certain risk factors are present and arrange for follow-up.

Rich Scarfone

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html