I just love that quote,
Todd Z
PS I fear the day that a med mal claim arises from a (Peds ER) doc ordering
a CT scan...

In a message dated 3/31/2009 6:45:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

While I  agree that the CT radiation is real- remember that much if not
all  of this data is extrapolation of nuclear bomb/ disaster data. This
troubles me personally - just how much do we know about this  risk?

Todd - the quote I am familiar with is 'Over-reliance on  one's
experience can lead to making the same mistakes with  increasing levels
of confidence.'

Jay Fisher

Sent from  my iPhone

On Mar 31, 2009, at 4:26 PM, [log in to unmask]  wrote:

> Hi Chuck, Hope all is well,
> I am actually looking  into developing an informed consent for CT
> scans for
>  children. It is a tedious task.
> I personally try to practice that if  they have RLQ pain/tenderness,
> a WBC  >
> 15K, a  CRP > 7 or 8, they likely will have appendicitis. Equivocal
>  cases  get
> observed and/or CT with surgical consult. Our US techs  are not
> proficient at
> US as of yet. I can only hope and  pray.
> Interestingly, Peds Emergency Medicine Reports recently eluded  to a
> sort of
> standard being to officially consult a  surgeon prior to ordering a
> CT. We can
> all interpret  this in many ways I can imagine.
> No set protocols, I think protocols  can medical-legally get us into
> trouble,
> I DO  like Guidelines however.
> I like the quote at the end of your note, I  have a quote from
> someone as
> well, I'm not sure of the  exact language, but it goes something like:
> "Experience in medicine  allows you to come up with the wrong
> diagnosis with
>  that much more confidence".
> I love that...
>
>  Regards,
> Todd Z
>
> Dr. Todd  Zimmerman
>

> message dated 3/31/2009 6:14:50 P.M. Central  Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> This  is  an interesting question especially when extended to the
> frequently
> ordered  abdominal/pelvis CT (more radiation)  for abdominal pain R/O
> appy
> clinical   scenario.
>
> I think a discussion of radiation exposure should  always be  done,
> and  a

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)