I agree- admission is not requirement/ justification for IV . Many times kid w/ pneumonia or asthma or RSV come in for hypoxia  yet are tolerating po.I am very liberal with IV placement and typically if labs are required, access is obtained.However, " just because floor is not comfortable" or "what if" is no reason to place  line if child can drink. Ongoing battle with floor residents .

Stuart A Bradin, DO, FAAP, FACEP
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine
University of Michigan Health System
Department of Emergency Medicine
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html