I am going through a similar experience with Zachary, who just turned 5.
My main hang-up is the fact that we can't go do this someplace proper,
since Alex (20 months) requires half an eyeball at all times.  But
Zachary is getting close to learning to balance on his own. We just keep
riding back and forth in the driveway, with me holding the seat and
handlebars-that seems to give me the ability to control the balance
better, and show Zachary the 'sweet spot.'  I find he spends more time
nearly balanced when I lightly support the handlebar and not just the
seat.  Left to his own devices, he oversteers by turning the handlebars,
instead of controlling direction with a slight lean.

I've also heard folks promote the advantages of the 'ride along'
bikes-the 3rd wheel kind of bikes that attach to the back of an adult
bike. Proponents of this theory say the kid gets a better feel of how to
balance on a bike. I'm somewhat skeptical myself.

But what we need to do is go to a riding path to just go for a long
stretch. The bears in the woods around our house should be awake by now;
I'll just leave Alex to play with the new bear cubs, and take Zachary
out for some riding time.

Kidding about the 'bear-care' option...really.

James