--- On Thu, 4/9/09, Paul Kershaw <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>... in English,
> stop+fricative clusters are not generally permitted in word
> initial position (*bv, etc.), so either the affricates need
> to be considered as a single-consonant phoneme in English or
> that apparent rule needs to be revised.

If I understand this, then comparing "ts" in "catsup" and "ts" in "tsunami", we are allowed to call the first "ts" a consonant cluster, but we are not allowed to call the same sound in "tsunami" a consonant cluster because it is the initial sound, and initial sounds are not permitted to be called consonant clusters in English.

hehe. This is very confusing. :)

I guess that's why I've always taken a more trial and error approach to conlang building. There's so much about theory that I just can't seem to wrap my head around.

--gary