> From: Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
> If I understand this, then comparing "ts" in "catsup" and "ts" in "tsunami", we
> are allowed to call the first "ts" a consonant cluster, but we are not allowed
> to call the same sound in "tsunami" a consonant cluster because it is the
> initial sound, and initial sounds are not permitted to be called consonant
> clusters in English.

There are initial consonant clusters in English, such as /sp/ (spider), /br/ (bring), /str/ (stripe), etc. It's just that, for complex reasons (that maybe someone else can have a go at), affricates are (often) considered single consonants even though they are effectively a stop+fricative pair.

-- Paul