I'm not at all a synaesthete; my senses stay in their respective
compartments (although Taste and Smell are roommates, of course).  I
nevertheless do have some strong color associations, probably based on
specific learning materials from when I was very young.  It's most
noticeable with numbers: 1 and 9 are red, 2 and 7 are green, 3 and 5
and 0 (or ten) are blue, 4 is yellow, 6 is orange, 8 is purple.  But
also certain US states, which I'm sure is from a map on a food tray I
had as a toddler: Alabama and Maine and Massachusetts and South
Carolina and Washington are red, Georgia and California and Texas and
New York are yellow, Florida and North Carolina are green, Tennessee
and Oregon and Michigan are blue... that last one is particularly odd
because Michigan is surrounded by the Great Lakes and would completely
fail to stand out if colored blue, so maybe it's the color of the
lakes themselves that created the association in my mind.