It might be the case that the "crow" part is Welsh (generally Brythonic
anyway), where the general meaning is 'bent' (as in 'Cromlech' or "bent
(flat) stone")
Mike

As far as I can tell the author hasn't explained the etymology of the
English word 'crowbar' at all!  To say that 'crowbar' is named after a cow's
foot means that an "epenthetic" <r> has to be explained.

BTW, the AHD does link the word to "crow," supposedly because the fork at
the end of the tool resembles a bird's foot!  I would see a cloven hoof long
before I saw a three-toed bird's foot.

Charlie