2009/4/4 Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]>:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:48 PM, G. van der Vegt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> If browsers would just support css3, which allows you to let your
>> users download fonts.
>
> D'you know if this *is* accurately described as just UTF8 with a
> special display markup?

CSS doesn't really care about what encoding you use, as long as it's consistent.

As for the fonts, they will display the characters corresponding to
the codepoints in the source, even if it isn't /technically/ Unicode,
the browser won't be able to tell the difference.

Now, only gold releases that I know support font downloading through
CSS are Safari 3 and IE4+, though unfinished versions of Firefox and
Opera both include them.

IE only supports microsoft's propriety embedded opentype format, sadly
enough, while all others only support opentype as far as I can see.
Microsoft has supplied a tool for conversion, so that might be useful.

It's closer than I thought, tbh. Doesn't seem unlikely that in a year
all major browsers support font downloading. (I don't know whether
chrome supports it, but since chrome and safari use the same rendering
engine, it's not unlikely.)