On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >> I've got reams of original writing in gzb, but very
> >> little of it is in electronic form yet, and frankly
> >> most of it is either too private to share or not
> >> good enough to waste other people's time with.
>
> > IME much of the former is the latter.
>
> ? I'm not sure I understand.

I.e. most things that are "too private to share" are also "good enough to
waste other people's time with".

But then, I'm someone who's both really interested in what other people find
interesting / important to them (sometimes for meta reasons, but still), and
keeps a blog which is probably very TMI for most people even one generation
older than me.

FWIW I find that when people realize that what they consider 'private' is
actually interesting to me and that I've got friends who are way
weirder/kinkier/whatever then they are (and thus am extremely unlikely to
find their interests to be shocking or offensive or pitiful or whatever),
they're much more willing to discuss 'em.

(One of many things I'd like to do at some point is just go around the world
collecting personal stories...)

I thought I'd mentioned some specific things in
> my last message -- journal entries about planning
> and running the Inverse Relay, and going to and
> participating in LCC2, for instance -- or designing
> and playtesting Glossotechnia.   Leaving aside
> conlanging-related stuff, there are lots of other
> possibilities, but it gets harder to focus on one
> particular thing...

I think that the former are (no offense) inappropriate for either anthology,
because they're too day-to-day and are neither creative non-fiction nor
essays about conlanging.

The Glossotechnia one might work for the nonfiction anthology, though.
Depends whether it's interesting in itself vs being just a description of
the game or a blog-like account of how it happened.

(To give my own parallel: I don't think that my account of how I set up LCS
or LCC would be appropriate for either; it's simply not particularly
interesting to people who are interested in language or literature, even if
the material presented at the conferences eg might itself be. It's only
helpful for people with an interest in being an organizer themsleves, or who
want to be able to see behind the whole 'oh noes it's a Them now' thing.)

There's a passage from a couple of years ago
> that might be interesting, when I came home
> one evening in late winter and found my back
> door open, dead leaves all over the floor and
> a stray cat wandering around my house.

... maybe? I guess I draw a distinction between random blog stuff (which
this could be) and stories or other "creative writing" proper (which this
could also be).

I suspect the actual authors on the list could give a better explanation of
what I mean to mean here (or why I'm wrong to do so). :-P

> I'm Catholic, but I'm fairly sure most if not all the
> content of these psalm-pastiches would be
> interesting/non-offensive to any Christian,
> possibly any monotheist.  I don't have them
> in front of me, though -- not sure offhand which
> notebooks they're in.

FWIW, I'm fine with there being theologically inspired pieces in the
anthology. So long as we're showing them as artistic works rather than
proselytization, I see no problem.

> We could promise a share of profits, while
> honestly saying up front that the project is so
> small that it might not any money and pay
> anything.

Right.

> Diane Duane and Suzette Haden Elgin are
> pretty approachable, I think -- they have weblogs
> and interact with their readers a lot.   I'm
> not sure what Ursula Le Guin is like personally,
> but it can't hurt to write her in care of her
> publisher.

I've actually interviewed Elgin (hers should? be the next one up on the LCS
podcast); she's very sweet. I've emailed back and forth a couple times with
le Guin's publicist. No experience w/ Duane, but worth a shot.

- Sai