> He has tabulated /w/ as a bilabial fricative/approximant, but /w/ is velar

TTBOMK, Frisian /w/ was IPA [w] (of course, Frisian <w> could be /w/,
/f/, /v/, or silent, depending on position).

As to the tabulation, I find it perfectly natural.  I have always
considered [w] a "bilabial approximant" and would have so categorized
it without thinking about it if it hadn't been pointed out to me that
the official IPA designation is a "labialized velar", positioned
outside of the chart due to the lack of a distinct POA.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>