Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 4/14/09, Eugene Oh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> This is OT, but what does "cromulent" mean, and where does it come
>> from? I
>> couldn't find it in the OED. Is it slang?
> It comes from the Simpsons.  Someone uses the word "embiggen", a
> teacher says that she had never heard that word before moving to
> Springfield, and another teacher says "I don't know why; its a
> perfectly cromulent word.".

And later in the same episode, of one's acting: "He's embiggened that role
with his cromulent performance."  From the original context it's pretty
clearly meant to mean something like 'authentic' but in common use it
usually means 'legitimate' or 'acceptable' (not sure how a merely
legitimate or acceptable performance would embiggen a role, though).

Cf. also
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cromulent

	*Muke!
--