On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm not sure where I would fit here. I personally think I'm rather
> empathetic, meaning that I "feel with" people. Body language to me is just
> like another one of those around 5000 languages I don't understand.

I suspect what you have is what I call *sympathy* - i.e. caring about
others' emotions - but not *empathy* - i.e. directly mirroring /
knowing others' emotions.

The two are quite distinct.

FWIW, I know people diagnosed as Asperger's who nevertheless have
plenty of desire to be social and all that. They just, natively, kinda
suck at it and have to learn it explicitly (how to recognize certain
emotions, how to emote correctly, what scripts to follow, etc).

- Sai