I've recently noticed that when my Yahoo mail (viewed on Firefox) doesn't recognize a character, a little box appears with tiny numbers inside-- as in this

> 2009/4/9 Paul Kershaw <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > What about, say, "kya"? Do Japanese
> linguists consider that /kiya/? If so,
> > how are **きゃ** and **きや** distinguished
> phonologically?

Zooming in I see that these are 30 over 40 and 30 over 83/84-- is this just some quirk of Yahoo/Firefox, or are those perchance the unicode numbers for the Japanese chars.????
(I've noticed this on occasional websites too, but don't recall the numbers)

(Of course, they may display properly on some people's browsers)