On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Those are the code points.  First one is 304D (letter dee, not zero):
> U+304D HIRAGANA LETTER KI.   U+3083 is HIRAGANA LETTER SMALL YA, and
> U+3084 is HIRAGANA SMALL LETTER YA.

er, I mean, U+3084 is HIRAGANA LETTER YA.  No "SMALL".

Anyway, what you're seeing is a feature of some Unicode fonts, where
in lieu of a single generic "no such character" glyph, they give each
scalar position a unique glyph that includes the scalar value, so you
can at least look up what character you're supposed to be seeing.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>