David Peterson skrev:
> I've recently been coining a number of words in Kamakawi, and
> it occurred to me that I don't have any words for "money" or,
> indeed, any monetary systems in any of my languages--probably
> because I'm not too good with the stuff myself, and don't understand
> it well.  I often foolishly think that the Kamakawi speakers are
> so pure that they're "above" money, but that's just silly--though,
> indeed, they may not have gotten there yet.
>
> So, two questions.  First, does anyone have an at least semi-worked
> out monetary system in any of their conlangs, and would you
> care to explain it?
>
> Second, does anyone know of a description (preferably online)
> of a societal economy which didn't have money?  I'd like to get
> a better idea of how such economies work.

Well you made me think of it now!

WRT to Sohlodar I'll have to work out the value
exchange system from the bottom. I know that
precious metals and stones, and in coastal areas
also pearls and/or wampum-like beads made from
mother-of-pearl, play a rôle.  I don't know to
what extent precious metals are minted or something
similar, or if and how the value of minted metal
differs from the metal value as such.  It may be that
minting or its equivalent only amounts to a convenient
packaging of chunks of metal.  Cf. how viking society
used foreign gold and silver coins for their metal
value only.  I guess that in any society nominal
monetary value only works if there is some kind of
guarantor, even if it be only a common agreement,
for that value.  I guess I'll also have to work out
what rôle if any Western pearl-money play in Eastern
economy.  I guess it may even be higher valued there
than in the West.

Lucal Europe is probably like OTL Europe and North
America: Roman-based with decimalization in most
places. Granted the French Revolution had less
impact Lucally (mainly because Lucal Napoleon was
not even French, and actually was on the
counter-revolutionary side, although he tried to
use the turmoil of the times to extend the
Sikelian empire which Lucal fate had placed him on
top of).  Yngland and Waals have Powndſ, Scillingſ
and Pens, probably duodecimalized so that

Unit	Value	Latin	French	Rhodrese	Ynglisc
--------  --------  --------  --------  --------  --------
đ1		denarius	denier	deniair	pennie
$1	đ12	solidus	sous	saor	scilling
£1	đ144	libra	livre	livre	pownd

The reason for this is that the Lucal French
Revolution introduced not a decimal system but
a duodecimal system of measurement, based on the
typographic measurement system with its convenient
thirds, quarters and sixths.  The symbols and names
for the devisions are as follows:

Fraction	Symbol	Latin	French	Rhodrese	Ynglisc
--------  --------  --------  --------  --------	--------
1/12	ʉ	uncia	once	once	owns
1/8	⅛	octavus	oitieve	otxiaf	eaiht
1/6	⅙	sextus	siste	sest	sixþ
1/4	¼	quartus	quart	quart	feawrþ
1/3	⅓	tertius	terce	terç	þrid
1/2	½	dimidius	demi	demair	hoalf

There are probably coins for the fractions of the
$, other than the đ, called by the same names as
the measurement fractions, and coins for $2 $3 $4
$6 $8. There are probably also money for £6 £12
£18 £24 £48 £72 £96 £144 at least some of which I
will have to come up with names for.

/BP 8^)>
  "C'est en vain que nos Josués littéraires crient
  à la langue de s'arrêter; les langues ni le soleil
  ne s'arrêtent plus. Le jour où elles se *fixent*,
  c'est qu'elles meurent."           (Victor Hugo)