On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Kelvin Jackson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I remember reading once about the affricates /dD)/ and /tT)/, and realizing
> that they may occur in English: specifically in the word "width". However, I
> tend to realize "width" as /wInT/, despite the spelling. I'm wondering how
> everyone pronounces this cluster in English, and whether the /wInT/
> pronunciation is commonplace or not.

For me it seems to be a cluster, with a voiced stop and unvoiced
fricative. The fricative almost sounds like it's starting a second
syllable, and when it's followed in the same prosodic unit by a word
beginning with a vowel, it migrates over and becomes an onset (so "the
width of" is realized as [[log in to unmask]] ).