----- Original Message ----
> From: Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>
> So apparently our HP ProLiant servers log their error messages in both
> English and Japanese.  Why those two languages and not any of the
> others for which the message catalogues are installed, your guess is
> as good as mine.

Perhaps because a sizable portion of the engineers working on the product development are Japanese. English is obvious. :) At any rate, I've noticed that trend for a lot of computer equipment: If there are only two languages used, they're English and Japanese.

For that matter, the two languages spoken on the PA in Detroit Metropolitan Airport are English and Japanese, despite quite a few languages being far more represented in the Detroit area than Japanese. Obviously whoever is in charge of such things think the Japanese specifically need catering to (presumably due to the auto industry, although I've interacted with more German than Japanese auto-industry people in the Detroit area [on the other other hand, the Germans all spoke English, while it's more scattershot with Japanese executives]).

-- Paul