> From: Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>
> Maybe I subconsciously
> noticed the derivation, although it's more likely I noticed the "prep"
> ( as in "prepare" ) rather than the "pre-" per se.

Speaking of which, I've noticed and even uttered "preprepared," despite its obvious redundancy, so I wonder how much of "prepare"'s pre-ness is going away in favor of a fused form.

There's a distinction between "prepare" and "preprepare": Something is "prepared" if it's been cooked from combined ingredients and is now ready to eat, while something is "preprepared" if it came from the store ready to be heated and eaten.

-- paul