----- Original Message ----
> From: Paul Kershaw <[log in to unmask]>
> Actually, for me, the "t" drops out for "Saint Thomas" because of the following
> "t" (that is, /t$t/ -> [$t]). So it would matter to me whether it was Thomas or
> a name that didn't start with /t/ (or /d/, although /nt$n/ retains the /t/).
>
> -- Paul

My Zune was accommodating for sound samples, albeit n=2. ;)

Meg White of the White Stripes (a Detroit group) appears to say [sen] (so it sounds like "sane") in "St. Andrews," more or less a spoken-word piece in which she otherwise enunciates fairly well. Dream Academy's Nick Laird-Clowes clearly says [sEn] in "St. Valentine's Day." I wonder if the disappearing "t" in AmEng is a Detroit thing?

-- Paul