On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 2009-04-20 Garth Wallace wrote:
>>
>> I'm actually going to go with just a nomen agentis. Since
>>  voices are derivational, the "nomen patientis" would
>> just be the nomen agentis of the passive (or middle).
>>

> Even if you use the same derivational suffix you
> still must differentiate the Latinate terms: since
> _agent_ litterally means 'doer' and _patient_
> literally means 'undergoer' or 'sufferer' it makes
> no sense to call the nominalization of the passive
> participle an 'agent noun'.  I suggest that you
> don't try to retrofit the terminology of your
> grammar to that of latin grammar, but roll your
> own term, like _active/passive participial noun_.

Fair enough. The relevant thing here is the syntactic subject, not the
agent specifically, so that makes sense.

Ilion voices are derivational, so it really doesn't have a passive
participle so much as the participle of a passivized verb (and the
participle of a middle-voice verb, and the participle of a passivized
middle-voice verb).