On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:23:54 +0100, Eugene Oh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ah! A quick google (as opposed to Google, which is always quick, judging by
>the number of seconds it takes for them to turn up millions of results)
>turns up as the clearest explanation Rick Harrison's article from the
>Journal of Planned Languages - <
>http://www.rickharrison.com/language/aspect.html>.
>
>Does anyone have any comments on his suggestion of "retrospective" as a
>replacement for "perfect"? He is on this list IIRC so he probably could
>respond. (: My personal reservation is that it is too redolent of "past
>tense".

I rather like retrospective, and I was thinking resultative might do, but
that term is over-used for a variety of constructions and forms.

>(Tangentially, I really like the suggestion of the "almost"-aspect, i.e. "to
>believe" > "to suspect, i.e. to almost-believe". What might be a suitably
>latinate/hellenic name for it, though?)

My latin dictionary gives fere(:) or ferme(:) [final long 'e') for 'almost',
so fer(m)etive? But that suggests ferrets and weasels. Perhaps
'frustrative'? It's been used for something similar to this notion, though
where it has popped up it tends to have a connotation of having failed to
achieve a goal, rather than an activity not quite fully realized. Or maybe
that is what we are shooting for?

-Bfowol