--- On Sun, 5/3/09, Larry Sulky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 2,
> 2009 at 10:21 PM, <deinx nxtxr> <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've thought about a system that would use adpositions
> like the French use of "à" as in "machine à
> écrir" and maybe even a particle to mark adjectives
> like Albanian* does . That way the relationships would be
> clearly understood.
>
> I tried some time ago to reckon out which such particles
> would be needed. I can't find the list that I made now
> but it started out like this:
>
> - for the benefit of: "a human machine" =>
> "a machine for humans"
> - belonging to: "a human machine" => "a
> machine belonging to humans"
> - made by: "a human machine" => "a
> machine made by humans"
> - made out of: "a human machine" => "a
> machine made of humans"
> - for the containment of: "a human machine" =>
> "a machine for holding humans"
> - for the doing of: "a human machine" =>
> "a machine for creating humans"
> - coming from: ....
>
> At that point I petered out and decided that I'd
> probably never get such a list right or complete, so in
> Qakwan I just use explicit verbs rather than particles
> (though I do have a particle for "associated with in
> some way" and one to mark an indirect object in some
> nonspecific way).

One thing that bothered me about Dr. Brown of Loglan fame was that he refused to learn Eo, even though many Loglanists knew it and I told him that it would give him some simple answers to apparently intractable problems. As a case in point, while revisiting my old "Loglan II" project last year, I was re-reading the section in the Loglan book about modification and compounding. He said that making such relationships precise would require a lot of research he didn't have time for. But an Esperantist who knew Loglan would have seen an obvious way to do it. (A little clumsy in Loglan, but still possible; in L II, it would be easy enough to implement.)

All you have to do is affix case tags and prepositional "operators," as in Eo "por/infana libro." Similarly, the Ido distinction between "papera fabriko" (made of) and "paperala fabriko" (making) is handled in Eo (when necessary) by "el/papera" and "de/papera" respectively. I still want to verify the case tags, but the Loglanists have probably done more than 80% of the work already.

Steve